Main Street America
With assistance from a city staff person, seven (7) directors appointed by City Council and four (4) ex-officio directors whom represent the business community, non-profit organizations, and full-time residents govern the Program. More information can be found here.
The city is proud to be a Georgia Exceptional Main Street Community! For a snapshop of accomplishments that the city has had by being an accredited Main Street Community and following a balanced approach to economic development and preservation, read on…
– Conceptualized, implemented, and promote the Buy Local Tybee logo with tagline.
– Obtained over $30k in grant monies to assist the City with the Keep Tybee Tidy anti-litter campaign and placing trash receptacles along heavily used sidewalks.
– Obtained over $25,000 in grant monies to update the Historic Resources Survey in two phases. Click here for more information.
– Encouraging preservation activities and highlighting the importance and benefits of protecting the island’s unique architectural details and heritage.
– Assists and manages Facade Improvement Grants for commercial buildings. Four grants are available per year for up to a $5000 match.
– Coordinate Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies, and the like, for new entrepreneurs / businesses celebrating a milestone anniversary with City Officials and the public.
– Oversees the Tybee Island Information Providers Program at the Info Hut in Downtown Tybee and materials for posting. Staffing between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends is provided by Visit Tybee (a division of the Savannah Chamber of Commerce) thru an annual agreement with the city. An estimate of 5k visitors visit the Info Hut annually.
– Manage and creates materials for the Informational Kiosk at the Park of Seven Flags.
– Coordinate and host annual city-sponsored community events that highlight the arts, the businesses, and the community’s well-being; process requests for organizations hosting events and/or companies doing productions; track and report the economic impact of events (2017 = $1.7 million) and productions (2017 = $3 million) throughout the year.